No sense letting pre-heated air go to waste, much of that energy can be recaptured. Providing a heating system with extreme efficiency in the first place and then adding an energy recapturing system is a winning combination…
High Efficiency Furnace vs Traditional Furnace:
- Newer high efficiency furnaces have an energy recapturing system in the sense that it reduces energy waste – such as in the combustion chamber, instead of it being open and having the excess heat vent through the machine, it is a closed and sealed chamber and that heat is contained in the unit for usage through the duct system. A quality high efficiency furnace can be up to 95% fuel efficient.
- Multi Stage Gas Valves – a good high efficiency furnace will use a two stage valve, the furnace detects and responds to the external temperature outside the facility. The furnace regulates the flow of gas based on how much energy is required to generate heat for the facility (home/workplace). Therefore if there is a sudden cold snap, the furnace will detect, adjust and respond in turn. However, on the majority of days when heating requirements are negligible, it will only use the minimum and most efficient amount of fuel.
Exhaust Heat Recovery Systems:
Furnace Exhaust Heat Recovery System (Dry Waste Heat Recovery)
- A fuel-fired furnace burns the exhaust is vented to the outside and is essentially wasted. A waste heat recovery system recaptures that exhaust, processes it and recycles it back into the house before it gets to the furnace, such as the furnace is partially being fed pre-warmed air instead of converting only cold external air.
Exhaust Heat Exchangers for Water (generally Commercial application)
- Exhaust heat exchangers for water can be used with natural gas, diesel and bio-fuel engines. They remove the thermal energy from exhaust gas and transfer it to the water circuit system. This now extracted heat is used for heating hot water, space heating (including radiant floor or wall units) and any industrial process that requires hot water.
- Some units can reclaim up to 60% waste heat from an engine, and also think of the savings of not also having to provide additional energy costs for heating the now useable hot water.
- A clever eco-friendly green option with immense cost savings benefits.
- Pretty obvious, however one way to recapture energy, is not to lose it in the first place. Even traditional furnaces can adopt this as a quick and easy energy efficient add-on feature – however it goes without saying that a high efficiency furnace should come with one of these.
- Technology has upped the ante on programmable thermostats, not only can there be endless programs of temperature control, but temperature and monitoring can be controlled remotely by phone, wifi or other methods (especially for commercial applications).
- Alerts too, as one can be notified not only if there is an immediate temperature change higher or lower, but if there is an issue with the system. Furthermore, Google is working on a deal with home contracting services to auto-place a service call when it detects an issue with the HVAC system.
Checking the ducting system for leakages, blockages, disconnects or correct damper direction is always a good idea before revamping an entire system. As well as considering insulation factors, proper venting, and even simple things like furnace maintenance and duct cleaning can do wonders on some systems in improving efficiency in the meantime, while deciding on upgrading options.
There are other measures of controlling the indoor air quality such as UV lights, heat sterilization units & HVAC incinerators, air purifiers, fresh air exchangers and more.
Feel free to call our office 416-410-3777 and our technicians can explain the various options available for residential and commercial applications.
We offer fast efficient appointments for our residential and commercial clients.
- HVAC maintenance
- Boiler Systems
- Commercial Humidifiers
- Indoor Air Quality Specialists
- Odour removal Specialists (powerful yet all natural treatments)
- Duct cleaning
- Air vent cleaning
- Ventilation cleaning
- Dryer duct cleaning
- Fire or Flood restoration
Do you have multiple workplace facilities, franchises, homes or offices?
No need to deal with multiple companies, technicians and locations. With our large service area across Toronto, and Southern Ontario, one call will solve it all.
Types of Buildings:
- Offices: high rise, low rise and ground floor
- Retail stores & Grocery stores
- Medical buildings & Hospitals
- Schools; Elementary, Secondary, Public, Private; Day-cares
- Seniors homes, long term care facilities, retirement homes
- Real estate buildings & holdings, high rises, rental properties
- Townhouses, walk-ups, low rise, homes, condos, lofts
Call us if your building isn’t listed above, we can make arrangements.